This post was originally published on this site

“They would have been exhibiting symptoms, perhaps an elevated temperature or cough, they are the kinds of things our nurses are checking for.”

The screening is part of federal efforts to contain the spread of the virus, with more than 370 patients tested for the disease in Queensland since January 22.

People wearing face masks to protect themselves from coronavirus are seen at Brisbane International Airport.

People wearing face masks to protect themselves from coronavirus are seen at Brisbane International Airport.Credit:AAP

Meanwhile, “fever clinics” have been set up at Gold Coast University Hospital, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, and Princess Alexandra Hospital, Mr Miles said.

“These clinics are only for people who our clinicians believe need further assessment for the novel coronavirus,” he said in a statement.

“This helps separate patients who potentially have the virus and other patients presenting to [emergency departments] with other illnesses or injuries.”

Other hospitals across the state are able to open similar facilities at short notice, the minister said.

Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles says two people have been sent for further testing after arriving at Brisbane International airport.

Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles says two people have been sent for further testing after arriving at Brisbane International airport.Credit:AAP

A man, 44, and a woman, 42, remain the only two confirmed cases of the disease recorded in Queensland so far, and remain in isolation at Gold Coast University Hospital.

The pair were part of a larger group of nine who had travelled from the area around the Chinese city of Wuhan to the Gold Coast via Melbourne.

Wuhan is believed to be the epicentre of the global outbreak, with more than 17,000 lab-confirmed cases across 23 countries resulting in over 360 deaths.

The other people who had been travelling with the pair have either tested negative to the virus or have not become sick, although they are also in isolation at the hospital.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk hit out at the federal government’s response to the crisis on Friday, saying the Commonwealth had been too slow in sharing information about incoming flights.

However on Monday that appeared to have been resolved, with the Premier saying she had been working “very co-operatively” with Canberra.

“A few little outstanding issues about some extra data we are after but on the whole, very, very, very supportive of what’s happening,” she said.

“I have also written to the Prime Minister about kicking in our national disaster relief arrangements, that would mean that the state and the Commonwealth would share in the costs.”

Ms Palaszczuk said she hoped the disaster relief would work similarly to aid available during bushfires and cyclones.

Loading

The Department of Foreign Affairs on Saturday upgraded the travel advice for all of China to “do not travel” and barred all non-Australian citizens or permanent residents who had travelled to China from entering Australia.

The Chinese women’s football team also remains in quarantine in The Westin hotel in Brisbane’s CBD.

None of the players or staff have shown symptoms, however as the team travelled from an area near the initial virus outbreak they have been quarantined as a precaution.

– with Lydia Lynch

Stuart Layt covers health, science and technology for the Brisbane Times. He was formerly the Queensland political reporter for AAP.

Most Viewed in National

Loading